Opening of the Dedicated Access Road to the Passenger Terminal of Bandaranaike International Airport
November 20, 2023
We are pleased to inform you that, AASL with the objective of developing infrastructural facilities at Bandaranaike International Airport premises, the road expansion project to develop internal and external road access to BIA (Katunayake – Veyangoda road) was successfully completed and declared open on 20th November 2023 with the Participation of Hon. Nimal Siripala De Silva, Minister of Ports, Shipping and Aviation, Hon. (Dr.) Bandula Gunawardana, M.P., Minister of Transport and Highways and Minister of Mass Media, and other invitees.
Background of the Project
BIA has been experiencing heavy vehicle traffic during the peak hours causing many difficulties due to a lack of developed external and internal road network system. Therefore, Airport and Aviation Services (Sri Lanka) (Private) Limited (AASL) identified the need for the development of an access road system providing dedicated access to the BIA passenger terminal.
Accordingly, BIA explored the possibilities of having dedicated access to an airport with the neighboring landowner Board of Investment (BOI) and Road Development Authority. As a result of this attempt;
1. RDA carried out the Road Design works with the consent of BOI, AASL, and Katana Pradeshiya Saba.
2. The Earth Drain in between Minuwangoda Road the and BOI boundary was rearranged as a covered concrete box drain to reclaim the land required to increase the road width.
3. BOI and CAASL/AASL agreed to contribute some lands along the BOI boundary and at Awariwatta respectively.
4. Proposed to carry Road Construction works by RDA and drainage development works by Sri Lanka Land Development Corporation (SLLDC)
In this context, with the approval of the AASL Board of Directors and Cabinet of Ministers, the project commenced with AASL funds of over Rs. 600 million and planned to complete 1.71 km of road length in 3 stages.
1. Stage I - Construction of 660m length, 04 lane dual road from Awariwatta Junction to BOI entrance including junction improvements and installation of traffic signal light system.
2. Stage II - Construction of required Drainage Development Canal works to reclaim the land for the construction of the road.
3. Stage III - Construction of 1050m length, 04 lane dual road from BOI entrance towards Minuwangoda including junction improvements, culverts, and installation of traffic signal light system.
Addressing the media Major General (Rtd.) G.A Chandrasiri, Chairman of Airport and Aviation Services (Sri Lanka) (Private) Limited said: ‘The project commenced at the end of December 2019 and Stages I and II were completed in 2020 and 2022 respectively, while the project was affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Though Stage III commenced in 2021, it was affected by economic crisis and fuel shortages, etc. The project recommenced in February 2023 with revised estimates and limiting the total road development length to 1.2km. We expect to create a congestion-free experience for the Katunayake - Veyangoda Road users from Awariwatta junction to the end of the Airport premises. AASL funded this project spending over Rs. 600 million and this will ease off the traffic congestion on the road and facilitate the airport as well as the BOI users giving them smooth access.’
Simultaneously, AASL has developed an internal road network in order to segregate departing and arriving passengers and has added more car parking facilities enhancing the convenience of the passengers and the visitors.